These 20 healthy ingredients can be added to your smoothies to turn them into meal replacement shakes. I also share my favorite homemade shake recipes that contain these filling ingredients. I lost 56 pounds in a few months by drinking these homemade weight loss shakes.
I am so excited about this post. It’s something I’ve wanted to share for years as I’ve lost 56 pounds myself using homemade weight loss shakes which is what I’m about to share with you in this post.
If you are new to my website I’ll give you a bit of background. The name, Green Thickie means a filling meal replacement smoothie which is a complete meal with optional greens to make it a Green Thickie.
** Please note that this post may contain affiliate links which means that I can receive a small payment if you make a purchase through my links.
When I first invented the Green Thickie, I started off adding oats to my smoothies to turn them into meal replacement shakes. After a while I started experimenting with other ingredients to make the smoothies thick and filling. Now I’ve experimenting with grain free diets so I’ve just found a whole load more ingredients that make perfect additions to make homemade meal replacement shakes.
I also use my Green Thickies as a great tool for weight loss.
If you drink one Green Thickie for breakfast and another for lunch and a home cooked healthy dinner, you should see results when it comes to health and weight loss. Get started with Green Thickies here.
Any of my Green Thickie recipes can be used as meal replacement shakes for weight loss.
Green Thickies are designed to be the perfect meal for busy people. If you don’t have time to sit down and eat a proper meal, you’ll get everything you need for one meal from a Green Thickie. Because they are so filling I don’t usually feel the need to snack in between meals and nor do I have time to snack. So I don’t have too many snack recipes on this website.
So let me explain what makes a Green Thickie so powerful…. There are 6 ingredients in most green thickies. The essential ingredients are:
1) Liquid such as water, juice or dairy free milk
2) Fruit/vegetables for nutrients.
3) I also add something sweet to my smoothies such as dried fruit to make them taste gorgeous.
4) I also add leafy greens as I believe eating leafy greens regularly takes your health to the next level.
5) To make them into a complete meal there are 2 more elements. The first one is a protein source such as nuts or seeds
6) And finally, to make the green thickie filling, we need to add a healthy whole foods based filler. Keep reading to find out about fillers. I’m now going to explain the different choices of fillers you can add to your smoothie to make them into a complete meal. And after I explain the fillers I’ll also give you a formula for making your own homemade meal replacement shakes for weight loss.
So now that I’ve explained the concept behind Green Thickies, I’m going to give you a list of ingredients which are my ‘fillers’ that you can use to turn any smoothie into a filling meal replacement shake.
Each of my recipes serves 2, so all these fillers need to be added to a batch of smoothie that is enough for 2 portions.
Further down I will explain the exact quantities of ingredients you need to make your own homemade meal replacement shake.
How To Add Fillers To Smoothies To Create Weight Loss Shakes
To make your own meal replacement shakes, you can either:
- Use one of my recipes and add your choice of filler to it from the list below, or
- Create your own smoothie with the template at the bottom of this post.
20 Whole Food Fillers to turn any smoothie into Homemade Meal Replacement Shakes
If you don’t want to know how to make Green Thickies, but simply want to make your own smoothies more filling, you can just take a look at the image below.
All of the fillers in this image serve just 1. So take the ingredient listed and just add it to a single serve smoothie. You’re done! You’ve now made your smoothie more filling.
Please pin the image below or share it on your blog with a link back to this blog post.
But if you want to make a complete meal, I suggest you keep reading.
Simply adding a filling to an existing smoothie will make it more filling, but it won’t provide all of the nutrients needed in one meal such as enough protein or essential fatty acids.
To get everything you need, I suggest you incorporate all 6 elements of a meal replacement shake (Green Thickie).
As most Green Thickies recipes serve 2, I have doubled the quantity of fillers in the list below.
Fillers for Green Thickies
All of the following ingredients serve 2. If you are making a smoothie for 1, use half of the amount listed below.
Raw Ingredients (Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Primal, Grain Free, Gluten Free, GAPs, SCD Diets)
1) 3 Medium Bananas/ 3 Cups of Banana Chunks (in addition to the bananas already in the recipe)*
2) 3 Small Mangos/ 3 Cups of Mango Chunks*
3) 1 Medium Avocado or 2 small avocados*
4) 4 Tablespoons Coconut Butter* (low Carb)
5) 2/3 Cup of Coconut Milk from a Can*
6) 4 Tablespoons of Coconut Cream* (low Carb)
7) 3/4 cup Coconut Flour
8) 3/4 cup Dried Fruit such as Dates, Raisins or other plain dried fruit
Nuts (Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Primal, Grain Free, Gluten Free, GAPs, SCD Diets)
9) 1/3 Cup Nuts
10) 3 Tablespoons Nut Butter*
Seeds (Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Primal, Grain Free, Gluten Free, GAPs, SCD Diets)
11) 1/2 Cup Seeds
12) 3 Tablespoons Seed Butter*
13) 1 Cup of Oats
14) 1 Cup of Quinoa
15) 1 Cup of Buckwheat
Other Carbs (Vegan, Grain Free, Gluten Free)
16) 1 Cup Sweet Potato or White Potato*
17) 1.5 Cups cooked, drained White Beans
18) 1 Cup Tofu *
19) 2 Cups of Soy Yogurt *
The Healthiest Smoothie Powder you will ever find
20) Homemade Smoothie Mix: For those lazy days where you don’t want to prepare any of the other fillers – or you want to add something bursting with nutrients, I’ve got something pretty special for you… My 2 Minute Homemade Hunger Buster Meal Replacement Powder is exactly what you’re looking for. *
It takes just minutes to make a big batch of. And if you leave a scoop in your mix, you just add this meal replacement powder mix to your blender in seconds every time you make a smoothie. Can’t get easier than that! Get this delicious filler powder recipe here.
All of these fillers have roughly the same number of calories. Each smoothie serves 2 so you would consume half of these fillers per smoothie. This might seem a lot to you but remember, this is a complete meal, not a snack! Some of them are bulkier than others so although each shake will be roughly 18 oz/ 1 pint / (500ml) some may be smaller and some larger, but all should fill you up until your next meal.
*I have added a star next to the fillers that are easiest to blend without a high speed blender. All of the ingredients can be blended with any blender but it is easier to blend if you soak hard ingredients overnight first. Another option is to grind your grains, nuts and seeds using your blending or coffee grinding before adding them to your smoothie.
I have chosen these fillers as most of them have a fairly neutral taste, and you’d be surprised how much the sweet fruit can overpower the taste of both the fillers and any greens you add to your smoothie.
Here is a handy chart to help you see at a glance which ingredients are suitable for your special diet:
Please pin this chart for later:
How to prepare the fillers for your meal replacement shakes
Most of the fillers can be added raw but to aid digestion, improve available nutrients and make the smoothies easier to blend it is advisable to prepare the fillers in the following ways:
- Oats: Soak these in the smoothie liquid overnight and add straight to the blender
- Quinoa: Rinse then soak these in the smoothie liquid overnight and add straight to the blender.
- Buckwheat: Rinse these and continue to rinse every couple of hours for 8 hours then add straight to the blender.
- Sweet Potato: Cook this first by steaming it for 10 minutes or baking it for 20 minutes
- White Potato: Steam this for 12 minutes and bake it under tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cooked beans: Rinse canned beans or follow packet instructions to soak and cook dried beans.
- Seeds and nuts: Soak over night, rinse and add to the blender.
- * If using dates or other dried fruit, it’s also good to soak these overnight in the smoothie liquid and add it all to the blender.
How to make Homemade Diet Shakes for Weight Loss
Here is a formula that you can you to make your own shakes for weight loss.
To make 2 servings of smoothie add the following ingredients:
- 2 Cups of Liquid
- 2 Cups of Fruit or if you are avoiding fruit, 2 cups of salad vegetables
- 1/4 Cup of Dried fruit or 2 Tablespoons of liquid sweetener such as Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup of Nuts or Seeds or 2 Tablespoons of Nut/Seed Butter or other protein source such beans
- 1-2 Cups of mild leafy greens
- One of the fillers above
Remember – for homemade meal replacement shakes for weight loss drink 1 serving which is half of the above recipe formula.
This formula will make approximately 18 oz/ 2 pints/ 1 litre and to lose weight, drink 9 oz/ 1 pint/ 500ml as a meal replacement. Do this for breakfast and for lunch and then have a sensible dinner that is suitable for the particular diet you are following. This is a great formula for weight loss.
For a complete meal plan – check out my 7 Day Detox to boost your weight loss even more.
A lot of people ask me what else to eat besides Green Thickies, so I developed my 7 Day Detox for Weight Loss and Improved Health which will give you a full calorie counted meal plan to help you lose weight which incorporates Green Thickies along with a whole foods vegan dinner and a healthy vegan lunch which is a choice of a salad or another Green Thickie if you are short on time.
Click here to have a look at Green Thickies 7 Day Detox.
If you want to know more about how to use healthy homemade meal replacement shakes to lose weight, check out my complete guide to meal replacement shakes which contains over 50 of my best meal replacement shakes.
If you don’t want to make your own recipe, you can always use one of mine such as this Natural Protein Shake without Protein Powder.
Or if you’d like more to choose from, here are all my favorite homemade meal replacement shakes for weight loss recipes.
Latest posts by Katherine Kyle @ Green Thickies
- 1 Minute Salted Caramel Sauce Recipe (Blender, Raw, Vegan, No Refined Sugar)
- February 17, 2020
- Easiest Mango Smoothie Recipe (2 Ingredient, Raw, Vegan)
- February 1, 2020
- How To Ripen A Mango Faster (Or More Slowly)
- January 3, 2020